Assalamualaikum my lovely readers 😊😊😊
So today I will be sharing a recipe I used to make soft homemade pretzels. As you all know, I am still an absolute beginner, so rest assured that all the recipes I shared are the ones that I found most simple to make. If you have never baked anything in your life, I suggest you to start off with plain bread, then slowly try more advanced recipes.
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
7/8 to 1 cup warm water
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons baking soda
Coarse salt, optional
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Parmesan cheese, optinal
1. Mix the sugar and salt with the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top of the mixture. Wait for five minutes for the yeast to activate.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients for the dough in one bowl.
3. When the yeast mixture has started to foam, combine the yeast mixture with the dry ingredients and knead well by hand, or by machine for about 6 to 7 minutes.
4. Oil a bowl with some vegetable oil and place the dough into the bowl. Pat some vegetable oil on the surface of the dough as well to avoid drying and cracking. Cover with plastic foil and let dough rise for about 30 minutes.
5. When the dough has doubled in size, divide into 8 equal portions. Roll each piece of dough into a long, thin rope and twost each rope into a pretzel.
6. Boil the water and add the baking soda, stirring until the soda is dissolved. Cool the mixture to luke warm.
7. Place the pretzel pieces into the baking soda solution, and spoon the water over their tops for about 2 minutes. This baking soda bath will give the pretzels a nice golden brown texture.
8. Preheat the oven to about 230 degrees Celcius or 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet by spraying it with vegetable oil spray, or butter.
9. Spread some butter and salt on top of the pretzel, or with some parmesan cheese, bake in the oven for 8 to 9 minutes, or unjtil they turn golden brown.
This recipe is really easy and fun to make, even with children. I have simplified it a little bit but the original recipe is from kingarthurflour.com and I recommend you to watch Laura Vitale’s pretzel video on youtube to gain a better insight on how to make pretzels.